Monday 27 February 2012

Small scale abstract work



This is a selection of smaller abstract pieces of work. I do enjoy working on a smaller scale as this feels more intimate and personal. The bottom row of paintings were part of a project on Northern identity I produced in my second year of college. This involved representing my interpretation of life before I was born through information gathered from my parents. Particularly life as a Northerner in England. At this stage of the project I had produced several experimental pieces based on the work of Jean-Michel Basquiat, taking influence from 80's colour and fashion, and mark making within Basquiat's work. These electric colours are contrasted with stark acetate prints from old photographs of my Mother and Father. Some pieces feature written quotes from research on my parents and 1970s/80s TV ads. My final piece for this body of work was an installation featuring retro furniture, mock-retro modern pieces, photographs and a selection of my own paintings.

The other pieces here are a selection of abstract works from my 'Exploration and Discovery' unit. As I have progressed as an art student my confidence has grown in the simplicity of my work. I feel I have developed an understanding that the relationship of colours, the way in which paint is applied or a suggestive mark can be very powerful in evoking imagery, a memory or creating a mood.


No comments:

Post a Comment