Wednesday 29 February 2012

Introduction


My name is Frances Prendergast, I am a keen art student and at the end of this year I hope to embark on a Fine Art degree. I have been interested in art from an early age; avidly practising sketching, card making, painting and other craftwork. I was often praised in my early school life for having an artistic talent beyond my years. I thoroughly enjoyed studying Fine Art at college and I am currently very excited at the prospect of higher education. I am keen to further broaden my artistic skills, be introduced to new ways of working and be inspired by new people who will positively direct my development as an artist.

Recently, I have started to paint and re-invent old furniture which I hope to begin selling in the near future; as well as paintings and other pieces.

As well as Art I have a passion for Film, which I took at A-level along with Psychology. These interests are an extension of my reflective, analytical nature which is present in much of my work.

In my second year of Film Studies, I made a short film entitled ‘A Bad Seed’, which explores the burden of teenage pregnancy on young people. I wanted to create a film laced with hidden meaning and ambiguity, but with an underlying powerful message. These messages and emotions are conveyed via various visual motifs, symbolism and music. The pace of editing is also intended to manipulate the mood of the film. The film is very stylised and is an extension of how I work as an artist.

Having heard Manchester Metropolitan’s art department spoken of very highly by tutors and current students, and being very impressed by the online prospectus, I noted the university as one of my top 5 choices.

I look forward to working with new people who have new and further knowledge, technique and inspiration to give. I am intrigued at the prospect of exploring themes such as ‘Identity, Semiotics and the Body’, and workshops introducing me to new media and processes. I am excited at the opportunity to have my own workspace and am particularly interested in the ‘Art and Audience’ unit, as well as ‘Studio in Context 2’ in the second year, where I will have the privilege of creating an exhibition either as an individual or part of a group.

I hope you will consider me a worthy candidate for the course.





*Please note: this portfolio is intended to be viewed in date order, older posts first, starting with 'Life drawing. November 11th 2010*

No comments:

Post a Comment